7 Helpful Tips to Maintain an Athletic Figure
A great workout routine can have your body feeling revitalized, while a great recovery regime can have your body feeling restored. It is essential to properly recover after an exerting workout. Read below for seven helpful tips to maintain and correctly nourish your lean athletic figure.
1. It is extremely vital to consume the proper nutrients prior, during, and post workout (see page Athletic Nutrition). This allows your body to maintain the correct amount of glucose in your blood levels which is essential for optimum sports and/or exercise performance.
2. Proper hydration is key to any workout. One must consume eight to twelve ounces of water two to three hours before an endurance workout. You should also be consuming water every fifteen minutes during your exercise, as well as eight to twelve ounces of water post workout to replenish any lost fluids.
3. Consume a diet heavily based in fats. Although this advice may sound contrary to all the diet tips you have ever heard, fats are an excellent source of nutrient fuel. However, not all fats are created equal - you should only consume healthy fats such as avocado or peanut butter.
4. Prior to exercise, consume a meal full of complex carbohydrates such as pasta, vegetables, or legumes. This meal will properly fuel your muscles.
5. Post exercise you should also consume a meal to replenish your calorie depletion but this meal should be high in protein. This meal will begin the recovery process for your muscles to grow stronger.
6. Avoid sugary foods before your exercise. Avoiding sugary foods will help you to maintain better glucose levels to sustain energy throughout your workout.
7. Replenish your body with vitamins and minerals. Iron and calcium are necessary for energy and bone strength. The usual daily multivitamin catered to men or women is typically filled with enough nutrients to sufficiently supplement what your food may not be providing your muscles and bones.